Ice Ice Baby! – Happy International Vanilla Ice Cream Day!
The spice of sweetness, the scent of sensuality straight out of Madagascar... Have a spoonful of vanilla ice cream while you celebrate the International Vanilla Ice Cream Day and learn how to make these cool ice cream shaped cakes, listening to the retro tunes of guess who...
150 g frozen berries
50 ml (0.2 cups) sugar
Ice cream cake
1 1/2 litre good quality vanilla ice cream, softened
50 g pistachio kernels, coarsely chopped
125 g raspberries
250 ml / 1 cup meringue drops
Extra meringue drops
Let berries and sugar come to a boil in a sauce pan. Mash berries carefully with a fork and let simmer for a couple of minutes, then let cool for a while. Press mixture through a sieve. Store in fridge.
Ice cream cake
Line a 1 1/2 liter capacity bowl with plastic wrap (let the plastic wrap hang over the edge).
Put the softened ice cream in a larger bowl and fold down pistachios, raspberries and 1 dl (0.4 cup) of the meringue drops. Pour mixture into prepared bowl and spread out remaining meringue drops on top of ice cream to create a meringue layer. Put bowl in the freezer, covering the top with the overhang of plastic wrap. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
Put a plate in the freezer to chill. Turn out the cake on top of it, removing the plastic wrap. Put back in the freezer until firm, about 20 minutes. Decorate with raspberries, pistachios, meringue drops and raspberry sauce.
The Best (and Easiest) Ice Cream You'll Ever Make
Yield: about 6 servings
1¾ cups heavy cream
1¼ cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
, split in half lengthwise or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Optional: 2 cups of add-ins - soft brownies, cookies and blondies work great
Pour 1 cup of the cream into asaucepan
and add the sugar, salt. Use aknife
to split the bean. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the pot and then add the vanilla pod to the pot. Warm the mixture over medium heat, just until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the remaining cream, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine and chill in the refrigerator.
When ready to churn, remove the vanilla pod,whisk
mixture once more and pour intoice cream maker
. Churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the finished ice cream to anairtight container
and place in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy!
No Churn Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 or 2 vanilla beans
- Pour the cream into the bowl of a food processor. (You can also do this in a stand mixer, or with electric beaters)
- Make a slit down the centers of both vanilla beans and scrape out all the seeds with the back of the knife into the cream. Try to get as many of the seeds into the cream as possible. Reserve the pods for future use.
- Turn on the processor and whip the cream until it is stiff. This will only take a couple of minutes, so watch carefully. You will see ripples form in the cream as it firms up.
- Pour the condensed milk in and process briefly to combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a container, I use a metal loaf pan. Cover and put into the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until firm enough to scoop.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 cups of milk
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- Beat eggs and sugar together. Add in vanilla and salt. Then add the milk and beat. Last, add in the whipping cream and whip.
- Pour into ice cream machine and listen for it to finish.