Cake Decorating Using Wafer Paper
Wafer paper, also known as rice paper, are delicate sheets of paper that are safe for consumption. Its versatile nature can be used in a number of different ways, making it a useful and invaluable tool when it comes to cake decor and designs. You can buy individual sheets or you can buy a set of 100 pieces at your baking supplies store. When buying, make sure to choose smooth, unblemished papers and store them in a cool place away from heat.
It is a great medium to use when making edible flowers, especially if you’re wanting to add more to your cake decorating repertoire, or if you want another alternative to the more traditional gum paste flowers. Wafer paper gives you more flexibility when it comes to capturing the “wafer thin” effect perfectly.
Creative Ways You Can Use Wafer Paper
- Flowers and leaves. You can create beautifully cut flowers such as ranunculus, peony, and rolled rose using wafer paper.
- Die-cut design. Use wafer paper to create elegant cutout designs that can be used to create a lattice effect on a tier of cake.
- Create stunning paper cut-out decorations to cover your cake with fondant by using wafer paper.
How to Color Wafer Paper
While you can easily buy pre-colored or pre-designed wafer paper, there could be times when you would not find exactly what you are looking for. Don’t worry because you have the option to run a blank wafer paper through your printer using edible ink to achieve the design you wanted, or you can have it colored just the way you want it!
- Draw the design you wanted on the wafer paper, and then cut it out using scissors.
- Choose your colored luster dust or petal dust.
- Use a brush to apply the color with water as glue, taking care to use water sparingly, as applying too much can cause the wafer paper to disintegrate.
- Test the color on scrap pieces of wafer paper to make sure you get the right consistency.
- For the first stroke, do not overload the brush with color to prevent bleeding.
For tight corners, use a thin paint brush. To color whole sheets, use a wide flat-edged brush.
Original article : Learn Cake Decorating Online